Taking Care of Your Leather Beauty
What a terrible thought, the one of your gorgeous leather bag going to waste due a stain, misplacement or just bad luck. Here are a few tips to bring it back to life or even better, avoid disaster from ever happening.
Tips to take care of your leather bag:
• Storage: Don't let your bag suffocate! Your bag should be stored in a dry, airy environment where leather is allowed to breathe. Do not put it inside a plastic bag, use natural and breathable materials instead, such as a cotton bag to protect it. We provide a cotton drawstring bag with all our bags. Water or any kind of humidity might cause stains or mold, so try to avoid these too.
• Dealing with humidity: Well...that is easier said than done. We have our bags to accompany us through rain and shine, haven't we? If the bag gets wet, press with a dry, clean cloth or tissue without rubbing. Let it air dry slowly. Do not try to dry it with heat or direct sunlight to avoid the leather from getting damaged.
• Cleaning: We like our bags aging gracefully and even with a few patches that show how much we use them, but if there is a stain that looks out of place or the signs of ageing are become more like that "signs of dirtying"...we recommend you use a professional leather cleaning service. Unless you are brave and don't mind trying some cleaning products in a hidden area.
• Removing stains: Light dirt stains can be sometimes removed with a wet cloth. Do not use soap. There are a number of professional leather cleaning products. Make sure the product fits the type of leather and stain you want to remove. If possible, seek advice from a
professional and test products on a hidden, inconspicuous area.
• If exposed to sunlight: Too much sunshine? Use a leather conditioner to return moisture to the material. Make sure the product fits the type of leather and test it on a hidden, inconspicuous area to make sure there is no discolouration.
We want your bag to last for a very long time. You don't have that perfect leather beauty yet? Find one at Cartera!